Thursday, May 3, 2012

Vol. III No. 4

I wonder at the way in which Kodak has gone so quietly into the good night of bankruptcy.

I recently received some (digital) photos on 'H-P' paper, a product of Hewlett-Packard. I'm reminded of the old Reese's commercial: 'What is your chocolate doing in my peanut butter?" What is H-P doing with Kodak's photo print market?

The H-P photos produce a strange irritation and a feeling of instability behind my eyes. Analog, film photographs never did that.

What prevents Kodak from promoting film photography as superier to digital and therefore preferable for most kinds of imaging?

This preference is not sentimental or Luddite, it is a preference for reality over illusion, clarity over distortion, substance over vacuousness.

Your intermittent, interpolated, numerically step-generated digital images are both inaccurate and irritating. Can't Kodak go to Madison Avenue to promote a product which is not?

No comments:

Post a Comment